DIY credit repair is not as hard as you think!
If you think you have errors on your credit report, there are steps you can take to correct them without paying a so-called "credit repair company".
BY THE WAY...DO NOT FALL VICTUM TO SO CALLED CREDIT REPAIR SCAMS THAT CLAIM THEY CAN REMOVE NEGATIVE ITEMS AND INCREASE YOUR CREDIT SCORE...FOR A FEE!
First, you need a FREE COPY OF YOUR CREDIT REPORT.
Each of the three major credit reporting agencies will have on line information on how to submit challenges to errors on their reports:
1. Get proof of payment or settlement for the account in question:
Let's say you paid off a credit card bill and yet there is still an outstanding balance showing either to the original creditor or to a collection agency.
- Request copies of cancelled checks from your bank
- Print online report from your bank
- If you have the last statement show a zero balance...even better!
2. Follow the instructions for each reporting agency to submit or open a challenge to your report.
You will be assigned a FILE NUMBER. Make sure to write it down or better yet, make a copy of the page.
3. The credit reporting agency will contact the creditor about the account in question.
This may take up to 30-60 days.
4. If you do not receive an email or letter within 45 days, check back with the credit reporting agency to get an update on your open file.
Your proof of payment should do the trick, but in some cases you may need to MAIL copies of proof of payment with explanation. The point is...DON'T GIVE UP! The credit reporting agencies want to provide an accurate report and will correct errors when proven to be errors.
If you are having trouble paying off credit card or other unsecured debts, we can help!
If you find that you have legitimate balances on some of your credit card accounts, a Debt Settlement Plan could be the answer!