Can A Debt Collector Call Me at Work?
Can a debt collector call me at work?
Creditors are notorious for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). This LAW is supposed to protect consumers from unscrupulous and ILLEGAL debt collection activity! However, most consumers are unaware of their RIGHTS UNDER THE LAW and are intimidated.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has very good information that every consumers should understand. Click her for a FREE GUIDE FOR CONSUMERS.
A debt collector is PROHIBITED from calling you at work IF they have been told (orally or in writing) that you are not allowed to receive calls at work. If you are getting calls at work, here's what you need to do to STOP THE CALLS.
- Write a letter demanding them to stop contacting you at home or at work.
- Send the letter by registered mail so that you have proof that the collector received it. (pay for a "return receipt")
- Make a copy of your letter.
Once the collector receives your letter, they may not contact you again, with two exceptions:
- A collector can contact you to tell you there will be no further contact or
- A collector can contact you to let you know that they or the creditor intend to take a specific action, like filing a lawsuit.
If they continue to call, you can report their ILLEGAL ACTIVITY to your state's Attorey Generals office.
Did you know? A debt collector in prohibited from:
- Calling before 8am or after 9pm at night.
- Using harassment such as making threats, using obscene language or repeatedly calling many times a day.
- Making false claims such as claiming to be an attorney or government representative.
- Misrepresenting the amount you owe.
- Making false statements. (They cannot say that you will "go to jail" or "be arrested" or even claim to take legal action if in fact, they do not do so.)
If you have been receiving collections calls and would like help with stopping the calls and eliminating the debt once and for all, our Solutions Specialist are here to help. Give us a call at 877-492-4109 or click on the link below!