3 VERY IMPORTANT tips on how you can STOP COLLECTION CALLS:
You have to understand that debt collectors are professionals who get paid when they get you to pay as much money as possible on an old or delinquent debt. NEVER FORGET THIS ! ! !
Although the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) gives specific rules as to what a debt collector can and cannot do, most collectors violate these rules every day.
Basically, a debt collector CANNOT:
- Harass you by calling many times a day
- Call very early in the morning or late in the evening
- Say unkind or inappropriate things about you
- Make false statements about taking legal action against you
- Call family or friends and tell them you owe money
- Call your place of employment
So how can you put a stop to collection calls?
(1) Get the name of the collection agency, address and phone if possible so that you can send a letter demanding that they not call you at home or work.
The letter should state that you cannot repay the debt at this time and that according to the FDCPA, you are demanding that they stop harassing you with phone calls both at home and work.
It is a good idea to send the letter by registered mail so that you have proof that the collection agency received it.
They may call you one last time just to state that they received the letter and will not be calling you again.
They will most likely say something like "Now we have no choice but to turn this over to our legal department to begin a lawsuit." or something like that.
DON'T BE SCARED! There are alternatives to stopping this action.
(2) Make sure you have CALLER ID
The worst thing you can do is get into a dialog with a debt collector! THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU........PERIOD!
If you get a call and do not recognize the caller, don't answer. If the caller is family or friend, they'll leave a message. But what if you happen to answer?
Simply cut the collector off by telling them not to call here anymore and hang up!
(3) Finally, you may want to get help from a professional debt management or settlement company.
A qualified Debt Settlement Company can help put a stop the these calls and negotiate a settlement or reduced payment arrangements.
This will relieve you of the stress of dealing with the collectors yourself!
Click here for a FREE No Obligation FINANCIAL ANALYSIS
phot by: Mykl Roventine